Saturday, May 27th, 2023
Planning for 2024?
Iron Knee/Tender Knee will be held May 25th, 2024
The Iron Knee and Tender Knee are point-to-point races starting from Cleveland Park or Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve in North Vancouver and ending on the shores of Deep Cove. Racers will be treated to some great trails, including the punishment of the infamous Powerline Climb. All this to be capped off with chocolate goodies and bragging rights as you race into the scenic finish line at Deep Cove.
- The last leg of the both Iron Knee and Tender Knee no longer go through Quarry Point Park. Instead, we take trails skirting the park until we get to the bottom. This part of the course is a steep, technical downhill.
- Be aware that road construction is underway in Deep Cove, causing traffic back-ups and reduced parking.
Iron Knee starts at Cleveland Park and Tender Knee starts at the LSCR. A bus will be available to transport racers from the finish line at Deep Cove to Cleveland Park or LSCR race morning. You must register for the bus.
|Distance||Course Map (PDF)||Race Start||Race Start Time|
|Iron Knee – 25K||Map & Course Description||Cleveland Park on|
|Tender Knee – 13K||Map & Course Description||Lower Seymour|
The course closes at 1:00 p.m.
There are four aid stations in total: four for Iron Knee and one for Tender Knee. Aid stations will have water, electrolyte drink, gels, chips, blocks or chews, cookies and other treats. First Aid supplies are available at every aid station.
Aid Station locations:
- Mosquito Creek bridge at Baden-Powell trail (water only)
- Mountain Highway
- LSCR gazebo area
- Powerline top at Mushroom trail intersection
- Indian River Road at Baden-Powell trail
Join the Foretrails Clinic for a free orientation run on Saturday, May 13th . We meet in the LSCR parking lot at the end of Lillooet Road at 8:30 a.m. There ia additional parking on the left of Lillooet Rd across from the Water Plan – just a short walk to where we are meeting. The orientation run will start with the Tender Knee course so that you can run Powerline hill. Please carry hydration and fuel and dress for changing weather.
A shuttle bus will be available on race day to transport you from the Deep Cove (finish) to your respective start area. You must purchase your shuttle ticket in advance (purchase during registration or if you forgot, send us an email).
|Payment||When registering or at bus with confirmation email|
|Departure Times||6:20 a.m. sharp to Iron Knee and Tender Knee start|
|Bus Pick Up||At Deep Cove near Panorama Park- Map|
|Parking||See below for parking instructions|
- Race Day (Saturday, May 27th) at your race start location 30 minutes before your race start time.
- You may also pick up you race bib on Friday (May 26th) but race swag will be handed out at the finish line. At 5-6 p.m. at Forerunners North Shore, 980 Marine Drive, North Vancouver.
- Race Swag will be given at the finish line for both events.
Race Day Check-in
EVERYONE MUST CHECK IN 30 minutes before race start, even if you picked up your race bib on Friday. This is for safety reasons.
- Dry bags, with a change of dry, warm clothes, may be dropped off at race start lines and will be transported to the finish line at LSCR.
- Please ensure your race number is marked on your dry bag.
- Awards will be presented for top three by gender, by event.
- Check the randomized list at the finish line to see if you have won a draw prize.
- Every racer will receive a race souvenir at the finish line.
All Foretrails Run Series events are now cup free events, meaning you’ll need to pack your own container for fluids at aid stations and at the finish line. For example, a foldable cup or packable style bottle.
Race Day Rules & Etiquette
We are a community minded event and want our racers, along with volunteers, family, friends and other community members who are enjoying the North Shore trails to have a great experience. To help us with this goal, please review our Race Rules and Etiquette.
Parking in Deep Cove is very limited and the bylaw officers will be out in force. Parking is available at Cove Cliff Elementary School for racers and supports (see map). It is a short walk to the finish area.
As per the LSCR event permit: “NO PARTICIPANT OR SPECTATOR PARKING IN (LSCR) PUBLIC LOT. Cars parked along Lillooet Road will be towed at the owner’s expense.”
Following are records held for the Iron Knee and Tender Knee:
- Iron Knee Male: 1:36:18 Rickey Gates in 2013. (Course altered 2011.)
- Iron Knee Female: 2:00:42 Stephanie Hamilton in 2013. (Course altered 2011.)
- Tender Knee Male: 46:40 Devon Kershaw (Olympian) in 2014.
- Tender Knee Female: 49:25 Kristin Steira (Olympian) in 2014.
Past results for the Iron Knee / Tender Knee may be found here.
Contact us. We will do our best to respond with 2 business days.
|Entry Fee||Iron Knee||Tender Knee|
|Until February 14, 2023||$50||$45|
|February 15 to May 12, 2023||$60||$55|
|May 13 to 25, 2023||$70||$65|
|Race Day Registration||$80||$75|
Note: Race Day registration is accepted IF spaces are still available. You must arrive at least 30 minutes before your race start time to register. CASH ONLY for race day registration.
Note: See above for Shuttle Bus ticket information.
Printable Information for Racers here.