Saturday, May 28th, 2022
Alternate Route for 2022
Due to construction in Quarry Park and Deep Cove we are altering the finish location for both Iron Knee and Tender Knee in 2022. Race start locations remain the same however the finish line for both events will be at the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve. The course essentially stays the same until the top of the infamous Powerline climb. At that point both the Iron Knee and Tender Knee course continues to climb up Mushroom trail and then wind its way up and downhill, looping around until the finish line at the LSCR. We will miss the scenic view at Deep Cove, but there will still be chocolate cake for you at the finish line!
Planning for 2023?
Iron Knee/Tender Knee will be held May 27th, 2023
NOT VALID FOR 2022: The Iron Knee and Tender Knee are point-to-point races starting from Cleveland Park or Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve in North Vancouver and ending on the shores of Deep Cove. Racers will be treated to some great trails, including the punishment of the infamous Powerline Climb. All this to be capped off with chocolate goodies and bragging rights as you race into the scenic finish line at Deep Cove.
Iron Knee starts at Cleveland Park and finishes at the LSCR. A bus will be available to transport racers from LSCR to Cleveland Park race morning. You must register for the bus.
Tender Knee starts and finishes at the LSCR.
|Distance||Course Map||Race Start||Race Start Time|
|Iron Knee – 25K||Map & Course Description||Cleveland Park on|
|Tender Knee – 13K||Map & Course Description||Lower Seymour|
The course closes at 1:00 p.m.
There are four aid stations in total: four for Iron Knee and one for Tender Knee. Aid stations will have water, electrolyte drink, gels, chips, blocks or chews, cookies and other treats. First Aid supplies are available at every aid station.
Aid Station locations:
- Mosquito Creek bridge at Baden-Powell trail (water only)
- Mountain Highway
- LSCR gazebo area
- Powerline top at Mushroom trail intersection
- Indian River Road at Baden-Powell trail (closed for 2022)
Join the Foretrails Clinic for a free orientation run on Saturday, May 14th . We meet in the gravel overflow parking lot at LSCR at 8:30 a.m. The orientation run will start with the Tender Knee course so that you can run the alternate race route. Please carry hydration and fuel and dress for changing weather.
A shuttle bus will be available on race day to transport you from the Deep Cove (finish) to your respective start area. You must purchase your shuttle ticket in advance (purchase during registration or if you forgot, send us an email).
|Payment||When registering or at bus with confirmation email|
|Departure Times||6:40 a.m. to Iron Knee start |
6:45 a.m. at Lot D of Capilano University parking (Map)
|Bus Pick Up||At round about by Gazebo at LSCR – Map. |
You may also be picked up at Lot D of Capilano College parking lot – Map,
but you must let us know by email so we don’t miss you.
- Race Bibs may be pickup on Friday, May 27th, at 5-7 p.m. at Forerunners North Shore, 980 Marine Drive, North Vancouver, or on
- Race Day (Saturday, May 28th) at your race start location 30 minutes before your race start time.
- Race Swag will be given at the finish line for both events.
Race Day Check-in
EVERYONE MUST CHECK IN 30 minutes before race start, even if you picked up your race bib on Friday. This is for safety reasons.
- Dry bags, with a change of dry, warm clothes, may be dropped off at race start lines and will be transported to the finish line at LSCR.
- Please ensure your race number is marked on your dry bag.
- Awards will be presented for top three by gender, by event.
- Check the randomized list at the finish line to see if you have won a draw prize.
- Every racer will receive a race souvenir at the finish line.
All Foretrails Run Series events are now cup free events, meaning you’ll need to pack your own container for fluids at aid stations and at the finish line. For example, a foldable cup or packable style bottle.
Race Day Rules & Etiquette
We are a community minded event and want our racers, along with volunteers, family, friends and other community members who are enjoying the North Shore trails to have a great experience. To help us with this goal, please review our Race Rules and Etiquette.
- CARPOOLING IS RECOMMENDED as the large overflow parking lot at LSCR is under construction.
- IRON KNEE racers taking the Shuttle Bus to the Cleveland Park race start will need to arrive EARLY to park at LSCR or Capilano University, Lot D. (See above for shuttle bus times). The best solution is to have some drop you at your start are and pick you up after the race at LSCR.
Following are records held for the Iron Knee and Tender Knee:
- Iron Knee Male: 1:36:18 Rickey Gates in 2013. (Course altered 2011.)
- Iron Knee Female: 2:00:42 Stephanie Hamilton in 2013. (Course altered 2011.)
- Tender Knee Male: 46:40 Devon Kershaw (Olympian) in 2014.
- Tender Knee Female: 49:25 Kristin Steira (Olympian) in 2014.
Past results for the Iron Knee / Tender Knee may be found here.
Contact us. We will do our best to respond with 2 business days.
|Entry Fee||Iron Knee||Tender Knee|
|Until April 14, 2022||$50||$45|
|April 15 to May 12, 2022||$60||$55|
|May 13 to 22, 2022||$70||$65|
|May 23 to Race Day Registration||$80||$75|
Note: Race Day registration is accepted IF spaces are still available. You must arrive at least 30 minutes before your race start time to register. CASH ONLY for race day registration.
Note: See above for Shuttle Bus ticket information.